Ivy Hall Chinese Program
Proven Effective Curriculum
Limited Seats Available
Fun Interactive Lessons
OUR CHINESE PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
Ivy Hall Chinese program seeks to empower students with the ability to communicate in Mandarin fluently using all four language skills—listening, speaking, reading & writing. Whether in the Chinese Immersion or After School programs, our effective, fun, interactive curriculum aims to help students reach Novice High (see ACFTL Proficiency Guidelines) after their first year. Then they will progress to intermediate fluency within the next few years, with the option of taking AP Chinese at Grade 9/10 and graduating Grade 12 at an Advanced proficiency with the ability to converse comfortably, read newspaper articles, and write short passages in Mandarin.
Ivy Hall Chinese Program’s excellence reflects Ivy Hall’s 30 years of academic excellence—nurturing and challenging students in a caring environment resulting in students performing at one or two grade levels above their peers. Ivy Hall Academy seeks to be Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (S.T.E.A.M.) & Leader in Me focus creating inspiring stalwart leaders of the 21st century with the ability to problem-solve and be compassionate, contributing global citizens.
TAKE THE FIRST STEP
Available programs to fit your needs in learning Mandarin
All Grades Welcome to Enroll for FALL 2019 (LIMITED SEATS)
- 70/30 focus: We believe in spending 70% of classroom time using English to delve into core / S.T.E.A.M. subjects and 30% of class time entirely immersed in learning Mandarin for communicative reasons, that is student will have 4 hours of Chinese instruction per week during school. Later as Chinese proficiency increases, it’ll become 80/20 focus.
- Unique curriculum: We will use Utah State recommended Mandarin textbook series plus many more enriching resources to ensure students become proficient in all four language skills: reading, writing, listening, & speaking.
- Goal: Students will reach Novice High in all language skills by the end of the school year, knowing how to write in simple sentences, and read simple Chinese short story books by themselves. In the long run, students will take the AP Chinese at 9th/10th Grade and graduate at 12th Grade proficient (Advanced) in Mandarin communicating comfortably with native Chinese speakers, reading news articles and writing short passages in Mandarin.
After School Chinese Programs
- 1st 30 students enrolled will have a discount and pay $280/month, or $1,120/semester, or $2,240/year
- 2-hour class: T & Th 3-5pm, or W & F 4-6pm (tentative time depending on enrollment)
- 4 hrs/week of Chinese lessons = 4hrs x32 weeks = 128 hours/year
- Tuition: $320/month, or $1,300/semester (16 weeks), or $2500/year (32 weeks)
- Classes start the week of Sept 3, 2019 to May 15, 2020
- Unique curriculum: We use Utah State recommended Mandarin textbook series plus many more enriching resources to ensure students become proficient in all four language skills: reading, writing, listening, & speaking.
- Homework is expected and students should be able to do them independently and successfully.
- For all K-12 students who want to learn Mandarin after school and become proficient in the Chinese language especially in all for language skills: reading, writing, listening & speaking.
- Goal: given 4 hours of Chinese per week (128 hours/year), students should achieve Novice High at the end of the school year, knowing how to write in simple sentences, and read simple Chinese short story books by themselves. In about 4 years, students will be ready to take AP Chinese and after a couple more years, reach an advanced proficiency level in Mandarin communicating comfortably with native Chinese speakers, reading news articles and writing short passages in Mandarin.
Adult Chinese Classes
- 2 hours/week at Ivy Hall Academy, 6-8pm (Tuesday/Wednesday)
- Including 2 hours of online learning once a week
- Tuition: $280/month
- Starts Sept 3, 2019 to May 20, 2020 Learning materials and resources will be provided
- Goal: Learn conversational Chinese and develop all language skills—listening, speaking, reading, & writing. Achieve a new proficiency HSK level per semester (about every 4 months). Understand the culture, grammar, idioms, nuances of Chinese expressions with the goal of becoming an independent life-long learner of the Mandarin at your own pace after a semester or two.